Home » Blogs + Videos » I Almost Denounced Delta Sigma Theta

I Almost Denounced Delta Sigma Theta

I almost denounced Delta Sigma Theta one week after joining. But it wasn’t because God told me. I was heavily attacked by Christians for being a Christian and choosing to join a sorority. The long unanswered question, “Should a Christian join a Fraternity or Sorority,” still remains on the minds of many people. There are some Christians that believe joining a Greek Letter Org is a sin; however, there is nothing in the scripture to support this belief. After much research and prayer you’d be surprised to know that God actually led me to Delta. He ordered my steps, sent me dreams to prepare me, and held my hand through the entire process. So I was shocked that one week after crossing, my best friend turned on me, called me an idolator and told people that I was practicing witch craft. She turned other people against me and divided the ministry we were leading together. I was so hurt that I almost quit ministry and Delta. I talk all about it in part 1 of this video.

If this video was helpful feel free to check out my other content Here.

Let’s Chat: Have you been ostracized for a decision you made?

Leave a comment below.

Share:

11 Comments

1. Mariama Wilson
    October 12, 2022 / 1:20 am

I am a Delta and have recently found God and I am struggling with remaining a Delta or not because people are telling me I shouldn’t. I don’t see the signs from the Lord or Him telling me to denounce but everyone is telling me I need to for me to be completely free. What is your thoughts? I feel like I am going crazy.

• Shamara
      Author
      October 18, 2022 / 7:56 pm

Hi Soror,
      You’re in the right place. When I first became a Delta, I was already a Christian. So I was on the look out for any type of idolatry that many legalistic christians speak about. And guess what? I found none. Just like you, God was not convicting me. In fact, He led me down this path. But the people (even a close friend) was so adamant that I had sinned and become an apostate (which is bizarre). I later found out that many people will try to convict or condemn you because of their own beliefs and misinformation about the organization. I also realized, that some of the people who are opposed to fraternities or sororities never joined one before :-/ they’re only going off of someone else’s experience. I’ve done my research before and after joining and I have not seen anything that goes against God. There are people who try to force their beliefs on you out of fear or ignorance. I’m very leery of them because God gives us freewill and He gives us grace. We have to trust that we can hear God clearly and confidently and that this is where He either led us or blessed us to be. I hope you find comfort in these words. If God has led you to join Delta then enjoy your time and spread His word. He is a faithful God and He doesn’t condemn those in His covenant (those who has said yes to salvation). If you ever need some support or additional resources I can send you a link to schedule a call with me. Because of this blog a lot of Deltas has reached out to gain clarity and now are free to enjoy Deltaland while still serving God. Let me know and I’ll shoot you an email. Looking forward to chatting 🙂

• Faith
        September 12, 2023 / 9:32 pm

Hi Shamara,

I hope this finds you well. I am reaching out in hopes to hear from you more about being a Delta and a Christian. I am in a state of trying to figure this out as we are currently in the application process. I would greatly appreciate hearing your take and about your experience.

• Shamara
          Author
          October 18, 2023 / 5:38 pm

Hi Lovely, I hope it’s not too late. I’m just seeing this. Shoot me a DM on IG with your questions so I can assist you. @bookofstar_

2. Mariama Wilson
    October 18, 2022 / 8:53 pm

Yes I would love to chat more and get more information/resources if you want to send your email so we can communicate further then that would be wonderful. Thank you!

3. Yolanda Antoine
    December 29, 2022 / 4:34 pm

Hello Soror,

I am in a constant battle with my husband about Delta Sigma Theta being a cult and the that I am worshipping some greek god. Instead of the true and almighty God. A man that does not even care for Christians and always talking against the church, can be easily manipulated into that way of thinking. Everything we stand for and to edifies, uplifts, and supports the body of Christ and our community. However, it is a constant argument. I stand firm on my faith in God and in our sisterhood of service to all in need.

• Shamara
      Author
      January 23, 2024 / 12:03 pm

Hi Soror,
      Please excuse me but I’m just now seeing this. Did you receive help with this already? If not, I want you to think about this. What spirit is operating through your husband to cause you to doubt God and doubt that He has placed you in DST? And then ask yourself why would this spirit be harassing you? If you don’t know how to discern spirits then I have some teachings that can help you. The reason why I say to answer these questions is because I, too, was harassed by a very dear friend of mind for joining this illustration Organization. Everything she said I did not see in the Sorority. In fact, the sorority is the complete opposite of a cult. So when I really thought about these two questions I realized that God placed me in the organization as a blessing and the enemy was trying to steal my blessing. So I fought for what was mine (as stated in my video God told me to get up and fight). There are certain prayers you can pray to get peace in your marriage. Please let me know if you need this or if you are good now?

4. Brandi
    October 7, 2023 / 3:16 am

I want to pledge but can not make up my mind because of this same reason. Can someone please help me out?

• Shamara
      Author
      October 18, 2023 / 5:39 pm

Hi Brandi, sure. Do you have any questions? If so, you can leave them here, but for a faster response feel free to shoot me a message on IG @bookofstar_

5. Karen Jackson
    January 18, 2024 / 6:03 pm

Hello my is Karen. I am a proud Zeta 😊. I have seen the videos and they are stating we are worshipping false Greek gods. They are also saying we have made covenants and oath through ceremonies and essentially open a path for the devil to curse us and our bloodline line. There is a need to renounce and denounce to save us from going to hell. As I am researching it seems like this may be linked to Deliverance Ministry. In your research did you find where this thought stems from of need to renounce and denounce to prevent your like from being cursed.

• Shamara
      Author
      January 23, 2024 / 11:58 am

Hi Karen,
      This is such a great question. I am a healing and Deliverance minister so I am very familiar with these terms. Renouncing and denouncing is necessary for when you have an idol in your life. Now the interesting thing is that anything can be an idol and we will need to denounce it. Idolatry means listening to anything or person over God. Which means that if God tells us to do something and we don’t because of fear then fear just became an idol and we will need to denounce it. Some more examples: Our children could become idols and then we will need to denounce in order to be set free. Our spouses and careers can be idols and we need to denounce so we can get free. However, denouncing doesn’t mean you have to leave i.e. if I denounce the idolatry in my marriage I wouldn’t then go and divorce my husband. That doesn’t make sense. But it is an acknowledgement and a turning away from the idolatry and placing God back on the throne of your heart. Let me know if that is clear? Secondly, Once you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior you then receive eternal life (John 3:16 + Romans 10:9-10). Eternal means never ending. So irregardless of the sins you commit after accepting Jesus into your life you are covered by His Grace and still saved which means you will not go to hell nor lose your salvation i.e. eternal life. Next, Idk your process for Zeta, but I do know that my process for Delta was beautiful and the oaths we took were in line with my values and what I believe about God. There is nothing wrong with taking oaths nor is it a sin Genesis 24 is an example of Abraham telling his servant to take an oath that he will find Isaac a wife. Now if you took an oath that goes against God then repent, break it, and ask Him what else can you do to make sure that it is broken. But you won’t need to leave your sorority just to do this. I want you to think about this: if you were a judge, or the president of the US you would have to take oaths. People in the medical field take oaths. So taking an oath isn’t a sin. Lastly, satan accessing your bloodline. He can access your bloodline by many things. He can access it at your job, through your ancestors etc. As Christian soldiers we should be cleansing our bloodline daily to repent for the sins that our families committed and nation has etc. Really God is the one to direct us on bloodline cleansing because He is all knowing. Do you know how to cleanse your bloodline? I do have teachings on this that will help. I understand that a lot of those denounce videos are rooted in fear and condemnation. But keep in mind that God did not give you the spirit of fear and there is no condemnation for those in Christ (Romans 8:1). We must discern to hear what God is truly saying to us. Let me know if you need assistance with cleansing your bloodline or have any other questions.